Hi! I’m Roger Jack aka Mr. Freaky Frugal. Mrs. FF and I started out fairly Freaky Frugal, but we’ve also improved with age. Like a fine wine! We’ve benefited from a boatload of experience and we’re still learning.
We became Financially Independent and Retired Early (FIRE) in 2012 at the tender young age of 52. My dad used to say “a bad day in retirement is still better than a good day on the job.” I agree. Being FIREd and truly free to control my time is awesome!!
Like many others who’ve FIREd, I stand on the shoulders of blogging giants. I give a big thanks to both Mr. Money Mustache and Early Retirement Extreme. The great Mr. Money Mustache, in particular, is my hero because reading his blog gave me the courage to retire as early as I did. I’ll be forever in his debt. I love him so much that I blatantly stole the “Mr.” part of Mr. Money Mustache because I think it’s cool.
My life before FIREing
A few people will want to know about my rather ordinary life before FIREing so here it is.
I was born and raised in Michigan in a typical middle-class family. I was the youngest of three. My Dad served in the Air Force during World War II, went to college on the GI Bill, and then spent his entire career working for General Motors. My Mom was a stay-at-home Mom.
I went to University of Michigan and earned a BA in Psychology. I had lots of fun and met the future Mrs. FF there. But the degree qualified me to do nothing except a crappy Wage Slave job in retail.
I got an MBA from Duke University which finally qualified me to do something better. I found a job as a Financial Analyst at Scott Paper Company and mostly played with computers.
I loved computers so much that I got a Masters in Computer Science from Villanova University part-time. I spent most of my career as a Software Developer both as an employee and a freelance consultant.
I have two awesome adult sons. I live with my first and only great wife in downtown Philadelphia. Sorry, no pets. Blah, blah, blah.
Is this blog for you?
Obviously this blog is for is for you if you’re interested FIREing. It’s also for you if you’ve already retired but want to optimize your spending and investing to make retirement as awesome as possible. You only live once, so make the best of it!
You also gotta love sophomoric humor and Really Stupid Comics. 🙂
Why did I start this blog?
There are thousands of Personal Finance blogs already. So why another? I started this blog for several reasons:
- I wanted to give back by helping others learn from my many stupid mistakes and smart moves on my path to FIREing.
- I wanted to hear from you and others to learn new frugality tips, tricks, philosophy and stories. We need to support each other.
- Now that I have plenty of time because I’m FIREd, I was looking for an interesting hobby. Very few things interest me more than being Freaky Frugal and I’ve always wanted to be a writer. Seemed like a good fit.
- I’m a Baby Boomer and Boomers are underrepresented in the Personal Finance blogosphere. Blame all the prolific Millennials! 🙂
- OK, I’ll admit it. Being Freaky Frugal, I secretly hope this blog makes a little money to pay for blog expenses and my efforts. So shoot me!
Being a perfect gentleman, I don’t share your info!
I write this blog for entertainment purposes only. Any advice you infer from it is purely coincidental and unintentional. But I’ll be happy to take any credit you want to give me for the good things that happen in your life. 🙂